Monday, May 23, 2011

two tutus

My most recent Charli's-first-birthday project was making a tutu.  Unfortunately, I had two ideas of what I wanted to do.  Even more unfortunately, 2 Michael's stores did not have what I needed, so I had to reform my ideas.  For the first tutu, I cut a 17" strip of 3/4" no-roll elastic & stitched the ends together.  I read that you should use 4 strips of tulle for every inch of elastic, so i cut 68 18" pieces of tulle.  My pattern was fuschia, light pink, fuschia, lime green.  I didn't feel like that was enough, so I cut an extra 4 pieces.  I tied them onto the elastic using a slip knot, & this is how it turned out:

My next idea for a tutu was to make it mostly lime green & tie fuschia pieces of tulle around the ends of the lime green.  I measured the same length of elastic, but this is where Michael's disappointed me.  The two stores I went to were out of more fuschia tulle, & Walmart didn't have it, either.  So I bought the light pink & my pattern for this tutu was lime green, light pink, lime green, light pink.  Because I didn't have enough fuschia, I only used 52 strips of tulle.  Each of these strips were 20" long, & I used the slip knot for these, also.  I tied 6" strips of fuschia onto the lime green pieces of tulle only.  This is how this tutu turned out:


I don't think I like the second tutu as much as the first.  It's not as full as I would like for it to be.  I will probably use the first tutu for Charli's birthday party, but maybe she'll enjoy playing dress-up in the second one, too!

1 comment: